Friday, June 17, 2011

Watching the Lunar Eclipse in Jordan

The weather here has slowly gotten warmer; the first few days were cloudy, which is unusual in comparison with last summer.  Even though the sky is clear now, the heat is not overwhelming and there is no humidity either!  Wednesday, before one of our classes, the secretary of the building came in with some friends and gave us some cake, and Jordanian pastries with cheese in them, along with some water to wash it all down.  One of the girls had just gotten engaged and the food was left over from celebrating her good news.  Later that night, I decided to go smoke some shisha in my favorite coffee place, jafra, with Bobby Joe.  Jafra is great because I can sit outside on the balcony and watch what happens on the street.  Before I went to pick up Bobby Joe, I saw the moon full and bright, and decided to take a picture of it.  While talking to Bobby Joe on the balcony, we saw the moon again, but this time it was smaller, and we both realized that we were watching a lunar eclipse.  It was so amazing, sitting there watching the world turn.  Everyone on the street was minding their business and walking around, continuing with the plans they had for that night while the whole time the moon was also continuing its plans.  So many people didn't even notice the moon!  I took some more pictures of the moon, but of course they don't do the eclipse any justice.  It was just an interesting and moving experience for me.

Class went well the next day.  My roommate and I had to kill a centipede in our room earlier that morning.  I'm not sure how it got there, but it was definitely on a mission to roam around the whole apartment!  After class, my neighbor friends (Maria and Sarah) that I met the first night, came over to see if they could use our shower, their apartment had no water.  Sarah was taking a shower and I spoke with Maria.  It was nice practicing my Arabic with her and learning about her, she is very sweet.  It was slightly difficult for me to understand the way she pronounced words, but the more we chatted, the easier it was to understand.  After Maria and Sarah left, Alex and I went to the store to buy some more ingredients for the dinner that we were going to make last night.  Everyone who is here from Ole Miss was invited to eat dinner at Alex, Cullen, and Matt's apartment.  Alex and I made spaghetti with onions, garlic, and fresh tomatoes that we added into the sauce.  We also had homemade garlic bread with butter.  The kitchen is very small, but everything worked well.  We now know how quickly propane stoves cook food!  Everyone came over and we sat in the living room in a makeshift circle on various chairs and talked to each other.  The whole group doesn't hang out together all of the time, we all break off into smaller groups and have our own expereiences, so having the "family" dinner was a great way to see everyone at once and talk about what we've been doing this week, etc.  After dinner, some of us decided to play some card games, and the night went on from there.  Today has been a relaxing day for us since today is a weekend.  My apartment is now out of water, but I luckily took a shower before that happened.  Someone is working on it now, so the problem should quickly be fixed, inshallah!

No comments:

Post a Comment